Friday, January 29, 2010

Module 2 Book 2 - Classic Children's and Young Adult Literature / YA - Old Yeller





Old Yeller

written by Fred Gipson

illustrated by Carl Burger



Bibliography

Gipson, F., & Burger, C. (1956). Old Yeller. New York: Harper & Row. ISBN-10: 0-06-011545-9

Brief Summary

As the story unfolds, the fluid language that Gipson utilizes is captivating. The story is told in first person by a 14 year old teen named Travis who has taken on the responsibility of head of the household while his father is gone on a cattle drive. Travis is responsible for the crops, the animals, the welfare of his mother and little five year old brother Arliss, and everything else that farm/ranch life in the mid 1800s required. It was hard work, to say the least. Part of the boy’s success was due to the presence of a big, yellow, ugly but totally remarkable dog named Old Yeller, after whom the book is titled.

My Impressions

I initially read this book in the early 60s, only a few years after it was published. It’s been almost half a century since I spent time with the characters. However, as the story unwound, it all came back to me in vivid images. Fortunately for me, the book was not published with many illustrations, so I could remember my original images, those which I visualized in my young mind without being distracted by someone’s else’s pictures of the setting and characters.

While I’m actually not a native Texan, I “got here as quickly as I could” by the age of three. Having grown up in Texas, for more than 50 years, I consider myself a Texan. My mother grew up in West Texas, which is similar to the Texas hill country, and most of her family members still reside there. Therefore, the story has a personal magic for me. I can picture the topography of the land, the mesquite trees, the lazy creeks like Birdsong, the people, the culture, and even the drawl of the local dialect. So, the story was alive for me, just like it was so many years ago.

Reviews

“Gr. 6-9. Left in charge of his pioneer family's Texas farm while his father is away, Travis is forced to grow up quickly with the assistance of Old Yeller, an unwanted stray dog. Animal and human interaction in this semidesert environment is strikingly portrayed.”

-- Booklist (September 1, 1989)

“This novel is one of the classics of juvenile fiction…This is a story that is both moving and humorous, and familiarizes readers with what it was like to live in this time and place…Ages 10 up.”

-- Children’s Literature
Jennifer Chambliss

Suggestions for Library Use

This book is a classic due to the talent of its author to provide a story which may have occurred in the 1860s, but is timeless in its magic. Students who are animal lovers, enjoy Texas history, or like to read about the trials of a young boy coming of age will enjoy this story!









No comments:

Post a Comment